Totally confused

Homepage Forums Support PULL support Totally confused

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Julie
    Participant

I bought Lemur and Pull today but now am thinking it’s not working because I don’t have full Max, just Max for Live.

I installed Pull in Live and can see it and load Large Template, etc. But when I open Lemur all I see is a screen with the Lemur logo (and settings option in upper right corner).

I’m a newbie to MIDI, so basic stuff like ins, outs and OSC is foreign.

Can you confirm that I can use this software with Max for Live? If so, can someone advise on exactly how I need to set up the various components to talk to each other? Thanks so much.

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Hi Julie,

Yes, you don’t need full Max to use this, only Max for Live. They are the same install though (Max 6 or Max 7).

We do have a support email if this is easier – support[at]xmonsta[dot]com

To use Max for Live you just need to install full Max 6.1 or Max 7. Then you go into Ableton preferences>folder>Max Application – and set your Max folder there. You can still use Max for Live, even though Full Max is not licensed (the max for live bit is automatically licensed in ableton)

Install PULL (using the correct installer for your Max/OS versions)

Drag PULL V2.2.amxd into your set. Fill in the IP field with your iPad IP address. Use port 8004

Go into your Lemur settings. In the “OSC 0 host” section, put your computer IP address. In the port put 8004

Click the “large template” button on the AMXD – on your Lemur some buttons on the bottom should load and a blue rectangle can be seen on screen.

Start selecting devices. The templates should flash up on screen and you should have bi-directional feedback on the Lemur.

You shouldnt need to do all this once youve installed PULL. Just save an .adv preset, or save PULL in your default set template, and all your info will be saved – you shouldnt need to reconfigure again. Then all you need to do is click “large template” to use.

There is also “send template” mode which is useful – all info about this is in the manual.

Cheers

Si

Julie
    Participant

Thanks so much for the fast response. I’ve followed these instructions and am almost there. At the moment I can see the templates and I can control parameters from Live (meaning I rotate a knob in Live and see it rotating in Lemur), but not the other way around. So controls are mono directional (in the wrong direction). Any clues? I am happy to continue this exchange via your support email. Thanks again. This is such an amazing tool and I’m eager to get it working.

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Yes, you’re pretty much there.

This just means that the IP address and/or PORT in your Lemur settings is not correct.

Find the IP address of your computer (the one with Ableton Live/PULL). Put this IP address in your Lemur settings (the cog in the top/right of Lemur).

Then make sure the PORT in the Lemur settings is the same as the port on your AMXD (you can use pretty much any port other than 8000, as long as they’re the same both on the AMXD and in the Lemur settings)

It could also be a firewall issue, so you could try turning your firewall off, if everything is set up correctly.

Happy to help on email or on here – up to you.

Hope it helps

Julie
    Participant

Still no go. In fact, Lemur’s not even putting the templates up anymore. Firewall’s off and has been the entire time, so that’s not the issue. I’m getting my computer’s IP address from (Mac) System Preferences > Network > “WiFi is connected to <network name> and has the IP address of <IP address>. Is that right place to get it?

Have also tried 8001 as port number, to no avail.

Julie
    Participant

Okay, got it now. Had to change the IP by what the iPad was giving. Don’t know why, but it’s working! Thanks again!

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Hi Julie,

This is unlikely to be a problem with PULL. It is a problem with general Lemur set up, over a network.

1) The ip address/port may not be set correctly in the Lemur settings
    2) The ipad should be on the same network as the computer
    3) There could be something blocking the communication between ipad/computer (perhaps a firewall).

It is most likely to be number 1.

Here are some example settings:

Router:

MAC/Computer

iPad

AMXD
    IP – 192.168.1.3 (your iPad IP address)
    PORT – 8004

Lemur settings:
    OSC Host IP – 192.168.1.2 (Computer IP address)
    OSC Host PORT – 8004

Here is a test amxd device.

http://www.xmonsta.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LemurOscTest.zip

This allows you to test your OSC connection without PULL (taking everything back to bare minimum). If OSC doesnt work with this it definitely wont work with PULL, so best to get your Lemur connection set up first with this.

To use this device:

Put your MAC/Computer IP address in OSC Host setting of Lemur, and put port 8004

On your Lemur:
    1) Go to settings > project > create new project
    2) Click on the + sign and select “knob” from the dropdown
    3) Click the play button that’s to the right of the + sign on your Lemur
    4) Play around with the knob.

On your computer:
    1) Drag the LemurOscText.amxd device into your Ableton Live Set

There is a message box on the device which says “YOUR OSC WILL BE HERE”, this will change to “Knob.x x.xxxxxx” depending on which object you are moving on the Lemur.

You can also install this ping tool for the iPad https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/network-ping-lite/id289967115?mt=8 which allows you to ping from your iPad to the MAC. Click the ping tab and enter your MAC ip address. This way you can test whether your MAC is responding to the iPad. If it’s not responding then either the iPad is not on the same network as the computer, or there is something blocking the iPad from communicating with the computer (computer or router firewall).

If you’re still having trouble setting Lemur up, it’s best to contact support email, as we will need to transfer various files (screenshots, test devices etc). You’ll need to list out your versions of the following: AbletonLive (9.1.7), Max(6.1.9), OSX, IOS and Lemur

Cheers

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Yes, if you set your IP addresses automatically (through DHCP) and you have various other computers connecting to the router, you’ll find that your IP’s regularly change. We find it’s best to set them manually, there’s also a way to set them by Mac address, but its a bit more complicated. Nevertheless, the above is a good guide should you need it again.

Hope you enjoy it. The real power of PULL is in extending it through templates (for VSTs and Max devices using send mode). You can also build custom max devices to hook into live and be controlled by Lemur easily. You can also integrate PULL as a simple container in other Lemur templates by just copying it in as a tab.

Julie
    Participant

I’m really impressed by your level of support, especially relative to the modest price of this software. Thanks for that guide and all the troubleshooting help.

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Hey Julie,

Glad to be of assistance.

If you enjoy using the software, we would be very grateful if you could share your experience in the form of a review here – http://www.xmonsta.com/product/pull-ipad-ableton-device-editor/#tab-reviews
    or in the Ableton forums – https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=205227&start=0
    or on http://www.maxforlive.com
    or even like us on facebook – https://www.facebook.com/xmonstauk

Cheers

Si

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.