Grain Delay and Looper don't work

Homepage Forums Support PULL support Grain Delay and Looper don't work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dennis
    Participant

Most devices works fine, But not Grain Delay and Looper. When changing parameters on x or y-axis in lemur for grain delay the device in Live dont reflect it. Sometimes the xy pad only works in the x direction and not in the y direction. Sometimes it dont work at all
    About Looper. It dont respond to record, overdub, play and stop buttons

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Hi Dennis,

Grain Delay should be working. If you look at the parameters to the left and underneath the xy they move when you move the xy pad. If you choose exactly the same tabs on the grain delay as you have selected on the grain delay template, you should see the XY should move. Unfortunately, ableton doesnt give us a way to change the tabs from the template. It’s just a visual thing. Grain Delay is working, it just doesnt appear visible just on the xy control.

You’re right about the Looper. We’ll implement a fix for this asap and let you know here when it’s ready

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, the Looper appears to have a bug. We have logged this Ableton support and hopefully they will fix it in the next version. If there is a fix we can implement in the meantime, we’ll get in touch.

Mark
    Participant

Just wanted to mention that on grain delay all 12 buttons from Spray- Dry/Wet and
    Delay/Time- Feedback do not work in either direction with my setup.

Maybe more a problem of Live 9.1.4 and not previous versions, but I can´t tell, because
    I am on the latest 9.1.4.

osx 10.8.5
    Live 9.1.4
    latest M4L
    latest lemur stuff

Cheers

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Yes you’re right. These do not work, because Ableton do not give us access to these buttons. There aren’t many things we cannot access, but this is one of them.

However, imagine on the device that the XY and the buttons to the left and bottom didn’t exist. If you use the Lemur XY pad and buttons, you’re getting exactly the same sounds (controlling exactly the same faders) as you would managing the device.

Try this. On the lemur template click rand pitch (on the left) and feedback (on the bottom). You’ll see that on the ableton device, the faders associated with those parameters move, when you move the XY. However, the XY pad on the device may not move/or only move in one direction (this is because we don’t have access to the buttons – no visual representation). Now try to click on the corresponding buttons on the device (rand pitch left and feedback bottom), you’ll see the XY works as you expect it to.

It’s actually a pretty neat workaround, but it would be much better if Ableton gave us access to the buttons and they updated with the template I agree. Sorry, we couldn’t find a way to get proper visual feedback for this template, we will push Ableton to make these available. In the meantime when using grain delay with PULL, its probably best to focus on the template, rather than the device.

Hope that makes sense.

Mark
    Participant

Thanks for the quick answer!

Makes sense, you are right for the workaround and it is actually the way I am doing it anyway, so no big deal.
    I should have read your previous posts better, as you mentioned that already, sorry.

Great support and very a useful and simple idea how to control Ableton devices!!

Jon
    Participant

Hi, just wanted to let you know that the looper seems to work ok for me, on 9.1.4 x64 and OSX 10.8.5 with Max 6.1.7, Lemur 5.0.3 on iOS 7.0.3

xmonsta
    Keymaster

Thanks Jon.

Just wondering are the play, stop, overdub buttons really working from the lemur? Ableton say this is a known bug and they’re still trying to fix it

Jon
    Participant

Yep, they work 100%, on lemur and on Pull, as long as there is a midi clip playing on the track.

xmonsta
    Keymaster

You’re absolutely right Jon. Looper state buttons do work in all versions of Live 9, seems to work if there is a clip playing in an audio track too. Thanks for pointing this out.

The one thing I’ve noticed (and caught me out) is that abletons transport needs to be playing in order for looper state buttons to work. I now think this might be the bug that ableton are referring to, because when you press play on the status, abletons transport should start (but it doesn’t). Whereas if you click on the play button with a mouse, abletons transport starts up.

Also, with looper its worth mentioning that when you use the state button through max for live, it doesnt work in sync, like when you press it with your mouse (looper waits until it’s sycn is ready). We might try to find a workaround for this in the device itself, where we recognise the looper’s quantization and then make the state changes made with lemur wait until the sync is ready. Pretty hard but not impossible.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.